I decided I would update you on my journey with letters that I didn't send to people but probably should have. They will help fill you on in my "eventful" last 48 hours.
Dear God,
Assuming that you hand out flat tires to bike riders so that they appreciate the fragility of their journey, I'm worried about your book keeping skills. Having had four in the past two days, I think I'm set for the rest of my journey. Please share the wealth with my other biking friends, I wouldn't want to be a flat hog.
Love,
Mitch
P.S. If you give me another one, I'm going to fix it, bike to heaven, and kick your shin. Then ask for forgiveness.
Dear Workers @ Subway,
Remember when you gave me a free goody bag full of chips, apples, 2 cookies, and a bottle of water, just because you heard I was biking to Boston. You made my day and renewed my hope in people. Plus your ability to put that stuff on my table while I was in the bathroom for only a minute, suggests that you are wicked speedy.
Much Love,
Mitch
Dear Elderly Man @ Immanuel Lutheran Church in Clay, NY,
I would first like to express gratitude for the two peaches you gave me. They were delicious and went well with the free tomatoes I also received from your church. However, your navigational suggestion of taking Route 20 was hair-brained indeed. Perhaps slightly less hair-brained than me heeding your advice. But very hairy nonetheless.
A Little Love,
Mitch
Clearlake Campsites,
First of all, whomever you charged with placing signs directing people to your establishment should be shot. Secondly, you should invest in a debit/credit card machine so people like me don't give you a dumb look when you say "We only take cash." Having said that, you accepting my $11 when the campsite was $22 suggests that you are descent hearted. I will make sure to refer anyone to you per your request, as long as you fix your damn signs.
Love,
Mitch
Wal-Mart,
You were a sight for sore eyes. Thank you for being everywhere.
Love,
Mitch
Chittenango Waterfall,
When I saw you, it almost made that ridiculous hill worth it. But then your fence ate my headphones and broke them. Then I had to climb some more hills without the comfort of Richard Simmons' workout music. That made it infinitely harder. So while I admire your natural beauty, I don't particularly like you.
No Love,
Mitch
Nice Man in a White Truck,
I was sort of just sticking out my thumb as a joke. But your willingness to stop and pick me up was greatly appreciated. Even when I told you to take me to a gas station and you took me to your garage. You don't know this, but I had one hand on my knife in case you tried anything funny. Luckily, you were just taking me to your air compressor for my flat tire. Thank you for assisting a traveler in need.
Love,
Mitch
So all in all...it's been an adventure. I still have 20 or so miles to get today, I keep getting off my pre-determined track...but as long as I keep heading East I think I'll be okay. Hopefully! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!
No comments:
Post a Comment