So at long last my quasi-impuslive biking journey has officially begun. I have only been on the path two days, but alas I have learned many lessons.
The most important has to do with my good friend Ms.
While toodling through
As I pedal an unknown dark blue car pulls over in front of me. As a casually dressed older male steps out of the car, I have multiple scenarios playing out in my mind. He tells me to give him my stuff, he asks if I need a ride, he just wants to have a conversation. The possibilities run and continue running, until I see him reach into his pocket and pull out a little black book. Soon that book would be opened and I would be viewing a Canadian Police Officer Badge. “What in the world are you doing?” Were the first words out of his mouth. Caught off guard by his presence I stammer that I’m an American, trying to bike to
Lesson Learned: When you don’t know how to get where you’re going, do something minorly illegal to capture the attention of a law enforcement officer and then play dumb/American.
Minus the fact that I had 70 lbs. on my back while viewing them, the Falls were beautiful. A constant rainbow transcends from their depths to the heavens above. I stood in awe of their natural power. Then I stood in a different form of awe…awe of the tourism industry and its manipulatin of this national treasure. The constant tour guide who told me that I would “regret it if I didn’t take them up on their offer.” I was perfectly pleased just by seeing them, no money spent. I couldn’t imagine regretting that, and here they were profiting on the fact that some people could. I understand that this isn’t unusual, but it’s the first time I noticed it so acutely. Perhaps it’s because the phenomenon is so natural. Disney World is supposed to be a tourist trap, that was it’s innate purpose, but that wasn’t the purpose behind
Did you know it’s free to get into
So far I have met only nice people. Here’s a sampling of those I have “experienced”:
· Dunkin Doughnuts employee in
· Man outside of thrift store in
· Stubborn Lady who can’t find a lawyer. Don’t you love the people who tell their life story to complete strangers. As I was sitting on a bench, taking a break from my ride to the falls an older woman sets a cot up near the bench I’m sitting in. “Don’t worry, I won’t bother you.” She said. Within the next ten minutes I learned that she worked for trade shows, had recently visited
· Walt & Sue: After pulling up to a RV Resort outside of
Those are all my thoughts for now. I’m planning on getting up at 5:15AM for an early start. The ambitious goal is 98 miles tomorrow…we’ll see how that goes J
For those of you reading who haven’t heard, I’ve set up a TIKE (Talk and Bike) Program for this adventure. If you’d like to participate, just e-mail me (zoelmi01@luther.edu) a window of time before 8/13 that you would want to have a conversation. Include your number, and I’ll call you in that window. I have a headset so I can multitask while on a bicycle. We can catch up, or talk about summer, dreams, favorite childhood stories, distant relatives, bunions, etc. The possibilities are endless J
Hi Mitch! So far it sounds like a great trip! Hope that 98 miles is going ok, that is a LONG way especially with a loaded backpack! Keep peddling and keep blogging and stay safe!!! Deb
ReplyDelete